Friday, August 2, 2013

M Resort Closes its Poker Room

It is with considerable sadness that I report that the poker room at the M Resort has closed.

I’ve done a number of posts about events that took place in this room and I have many fond memories of it.  For the first few years after it opened, I spent almost as much time playing there as I did at BSC.  But then its business slowed up, and also, I started playing NL and preferred to play that on the strip, not in a locals joint.
I feel bad for all the great people who have lost their jobs, although they had lost so much business lately and already cut back on staff, so that there weren’t many left.  My buddy and fellow blogger pkrdlr,   who was tasked with trying to return the room to its former glory, resigned in late June to pursue his dream of living in Hawaii.  There is no poker and no gambling of any kind in Hawaii.  He’ll have to find a new line of work.  I’ve already suggested that he write a book about his experiences at the M, and explain how a once hugely successful poker room went so far downhill so fast.  So far he has not reacted to that suggestion.
Many of the times I blogged about the M I didn’t identify it or referred to it with a fake name, as I am known to do.  I suppose there’s no reason not to identify those posts now, but I doubt most of you care.
However, here are some links to recent posts about the M, when I did identify it.  My lament about its struggles, and my wishing it a successful turnaround (oops) can be found here.  My last great run at the M can be found here.  Another tournament story can be found here.  A story about a former dealer at the M losing to a Royal Flush is here.  And a totally gratuitous mention of boobs at the M Resort (what—from me???) can be found here.
It’s a damn shame, if you ask me.

M Resort Waitresses

8 comments:

  1. Never played poker there. Your news is not surprising given the status of things at the room in 2013.

    Seems like it is very easy for a poker room to go blammo unless it is carefully tended to and managed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The real shame here is that the room was once wildly popular, and this didn't have to happen. And if upper management was really committed to making it work, they probably could have turned it around. But for whatever reason, they decided to throw in the towel without a fight.

      Delete
  2. Very sad to hear, though it was inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess. But you know, if you had told me, what, 2 years ago that the room would die out, I would have thought you were crazy.

      Delete
  3. Never got a chance to visit, wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad. Although it was always a better place for limit than NL. Although for awhile they had some really good low buy in tournament action.

      Delete
  4. It's disappointing to read about but sadly, not much of a surprise. They had a solid group of dealers and staff there that made it really the only reason to go play there but the upper management people stopped caring and it showed with taking away promos that players liked and so forth. I liked M much better then South Point or GVR but you could see this coming from as early as the end of last year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anony. Yes, somewhere along the way the higher ups decided they didn't really want a poker room and stopped trying. Damn shame.

      Delete