Sunday, August 27, 2017

At Least I Got My July 4th Post Up Before Labor Day

I went to MGM for my 4th of July session, starting in the late afternoon.  They were running a special promo just for the day.  If you flopped quad 4's, they'd pay you $4,444.  If you hit quad 4's on the turn or the river, it was still good for $444.  Spoiler alert:  I didn't win the promo.  I never got pocket 4's even once.  However, by the time I got to the poker room, one person had already been paid $4,444 for flopping quad 4's.

The very first hand I was dealt was Ace-9 of clubs.  There were a few limpers so I limped in too.  Six of us saw the flop, which had two clubs on it.  I called $9 and it was four-way.  The turn was a blank and it checked around.  The river was an 8 of clubs, giving me the nut flush but not the nuts.  A straight flush was possible with 6-5 of clubs.  Someone bet $15 and there was a call.  I made it $40.  The first guy called and the other guy folded.  He had 6-5 for the straight but neither of his cards was a club. Nice to win that first hand of the session.

A few minutes later, my old pal Michelle pushed in to deal.  Long-time readers with good memories will recall that Michelle is the dealer who "never pushes me a pot."  Back in the day when she used to deal to me regularly she once said she owed me 100 pots for all the ones she never pushed me over the years.  Thereafter, I used to do a running count backwards from 100 on those rare occasions when she did actually push me one.  I lost count somewhere in the high 80's.

But a few years back she changed her shift to days.  Now I rarely see her because she's gone by the time I get there.  So it had been awhile since I'd seen her and even longer since she'd actually dealt to me.  But I still expected her to recognize me.  I was somewhat across from her and she dealt her first hand without even noticing me.  Finally when she turned to me when it was my turn to act, I waved to her and she finally noticed it was me.  She kind of jumped in her seat and smiled and said hi. "You didn't notice me?" I asked her.  "No.....it's been a long, long time. Where ya been?" 

I said, "Well, you changed your shift."  She said, "That's a long time ago."  I agreed—after all, that was my point.  She asked me how I was doing and we caught up. 

The second or third hand she dealt me was Jack-9 off in late position.  There were a few limpers so I came in too.  No one raised and the number of us who saw the flop was somewhere between a basketball team and a baseball team.  It was a good decision to see this flop because it came Queen-10-8, two clubs.  Someone led out for $11 and got a call.  I made it $35 and didn't get a call.

As Michelle slid the pot towards me, I said, "You see, it's been so long, you forgot how to deal me losing hands."  She countered with, "That was a long time ago."

Very next hand I limped in behind a few other limpers with King-10 of diamonds.  I flopped a flush—the second nuts.  It was Queen-9-5 of diamonds.  I knew I didn't want to see another diamond unless it was the Jack of diamonds for the straight flush. That might have killed my action but it probably would have guaranteed me winning the high hand promo; a King-high straight flush is hard to beat!  I bet $12 and had two callers.  The turn was indeed a red Jack—but it was hearts, not diamonds.  I bet $40 and we were heads up.  The river was a blank and then the guy who had been check-calling me all this time led out with a shove. Gulp.  It was about $120-$130.  I had him covered. 

Was he slow-playing the nuts all this time?  Or did he have a straight?  Or a lesser flush?  I hadn't been at the table very long so I really didn't have a read on this guy.  I suppose I considered the fact that Michelle was dealing and that I'd already won a pot she'd dealt and what were the odds that I'd win a second one—in a row, yet?  But....I had a feeling I was good.  I sighed and announced call.  He said, "straight" and indeed that's what he turned over.  I showed my hand and Michelle was suddenly my good luck charm.  And imagine that, I'd flopped a straight and a flush from her on consecutive hands—and won both.  Miracles do happen.

Then everything reverted back to normal and I went card dead.  Not just with Michelle dealing but for a few dealers after that.  The good thing was that after the two hands with Michelle, I was sitting behind $440, more than a double up.

There was a hand where I got a lucky chop.  I didn't note the entire details but I think I was the big blind and flopped middle pair and a gutshot.  I called a small flop bet and there was no betting after that.  We were heads up after the flop.  Well, there was a straight on the board after the river and we both were playing the board.  But he had actually flopped a set of 8's and I just had a measly pair of 9's.  I said to him, "I feel like a winner, but you got screwed."

I had pocket Aces and opened to $10. It was three-way and I c-bet $20 on a low flop.  One caller.  But he didn't call my $40 turn bet.

I called $7 with Ace-7 of clubs and we were heads up.  I flopped the draw and called $10.  I caught the flush on the turn and he bet $15.  I made it $40 and he tanked for a good long while before folding.

I limped in with Ace-9 of clubs and there were four of us seeing an Ace-high flop, one club.  I bet $5 and got one call.  But he folded to my $10 bet on the turn when another Ace fell. 

I ended up cashing out a $280 profit, most of the money coming when Michelle was dealing.  I guess that now the Michelle has seemingly learned how to deal me winners, I should come in on the day shift more often.


2 comments:

  1. I thought you had minimized limping in the past? Of course, you are now getting involved in hands with cards only "bad players" would play. Hmmm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

      I try not to open limp, but I'm finding limping in behind other limpers can have it's advantages.

      Delete